Front Porch Farming, Front Porch Cooking, Front Porch Schooling, Front Porch Nutrition

Monday, March 19, 2012

Cauliflower, Sweet Potato and Kale Curry


After coming home from a much needed break over the weekend, I fell into a cooking slump. Eating out and worrying only about my own stomach left me unconcerned. However, when I returned home and all of sudden I have 3 baby birds with mouths wide open waiting to be fed ALL THE TIME my brain went into shut down mode. My friend, Susan, posted a vegetarian curry recipe and thought AHA! She saved the day...or shall I say dinner. I had no meat thawed out for dinner so it worked perfect. I poked around in the fridge and the pantry and came up with this very delicous curry. It is almost vegetarian-and I say almost because the only product in it that wasn't was the homemade chicken stock I keep in my fridge. You can substitute vegetable broth for that.
4 cups homemade chicken stock
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 medium sweet potato chopped
1 whole cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
4 kale leaves chopped
3 tsps curry powder
1 can coconut milk
1 can of chickpeas
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup golden raisins for garnishing
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut for garnishing
First add a little coconut oil and the chopped onion to your large fry pan. Saute the onion until it begins to soften. Add 4 cups of stock and rest of chopped veggies. (Not the kale!) When they begin to soften add your curry powder and salt. When completely cooked through and soft add the can of coconut milk, kale and chickpeas; reduce heat. It will only take a couple of minutes for the kale to wilt slightly. Serve over brown rice and garnish with golden raisins and coconut. Enjoy!

No comments: