Front Porch Farming, Front Porch Cooking, Front Porch Schooling, Front Porch Nutrition

Friday, January 20, 2012

Healthy Eating 2012

















2012 Marks a time in my life where I make a huge commitment to healthier lifestyle choices. This goes above and beyond growing and harvesting our own food. This is learning how our bodies respond to certain foods and what that outcome is. We recently made the choice to become gluten-free for various reasons. 1) Josh and I both suffer with autoimmune disorders. Autoimmune disorders can be gluten related. 2) Autoimmune disorders can be genetically transferred...meaning we pass these nasty genes on to our children. 3) Gluten is massively distrubuted in our everyday eating. I have even found it in my makeup and hairspray. We (Americans) have been over indulging in gluten for years , thus causing sensitivy and several other health problems you would not even believe could be linked to this tiny protein. But, believe me it does!!! Some of the things that I am learning to do is create a healthy flora in my digestive track. Especially since 80% of our immunity lies within there. These things include learning how to make homemade Kombucha. Kombucha is a delicous, effervescent, fermented tea that derives from a scoby mushroom. It is loaded with healthy probiotics. (See above center photo) The other picture (right) is of my Kefir. Kefir is also a fermented drink made from raw dairy milk. The bacteria and yeasts in the culture absorb all of the lactose in the milk leaving a drink rich in B vitamins, healthy lactobacilli amoung several other things. The picture on the left are some new superfoods that I am trying. Chia seeds which I absolutely love are mega rich in protein, omega 3's and fiber. They plump up when in yogurt or liquid creating a tapioca type texture. They have become a daily staple in our household. Another thing is hemp seed. Hemp seed is similar to chia seed nutritionally, but have a completely different flavor. More nutty. I usually mix the both of these in my yogurts. Yum-O! I have just gotten maca root powder and royal jelly. These 2 super foods help me keep my energy levels up! Just what I need with 3 busy kids in tow. Having thyroid issues can take a toll on you physically, but these super foods are promising.





















1 comment:

Nikki said...

Hey Wendy,
Thanks for sharing about chia seeds. I've done some reading on them and they sound amazing. I just ordered some. Do you ever order from Azure Standard or ever heard of it? If not you should look at the website.
http://www.azurestandard.com/
Most prices are better than the co-op or health food store.